Pasta W/ Tomato Sauce and Zucchini

 
This was my second serving because I forgot to take a picture the first time...Pretty valid excuse for having seconds!

  I've always used this recipe for pasta sauce since it's pretty simple and quick. Definitely something that I like making often :)

*Makes 5-7 servings.

Ingredients

1/4           Medium Sized White or Spanish Onion
1 Clove     Garlic
1 Whole    Zucchini
1 Jar          Strained or Crushed Tomatoes (Low Sodium if possible)
2 Tbsp      Canola Oil
900g         Pasta (This sauce usually yields enough for 900g but adjust accordingly).

Spices (I use my own judgement for adding spices, no measurements)
Salt
Pepper
Parsley
Basil (Fresh is best)

Optional
1/2 Eggplant
Cayenne Pepper


Steps

1. Dice the onion of choice and mince garlic finely then add to pot. 

2. Fry with canola oil on medium for 3-5 minutes.

3. Chop zucchini and add to the pot.

4. Add strained tomatoes to the pot - fill the jar 1/4 of the way with water to get the last remnants of tomatoes and add that to the sauce.

5. Add spices to sauce.

6. At this point, I decided to add some eggplant as well so feel free to do the same.

7. Let simmer on low for about 40-60 minutes, whenever you feel the zucchini's texture is to your liking (I think this timing makes the zucchini not too firm, not too soggy).

8. Boil pasta according to directions.

9. Strain and serve topped with sauce and veggies.

*To make this oil free (and hclf), substitute the oil with water when frying. Works great!
*To make this gluten free, use rice or corn pasta - I used the 340g box of Catelli Gluten Free penne and stored the extra sauce in the fridge.

Comments

Popular Posts